Friday, October 30, 2009

Advice for moving from a regional nonprofit job to a national nonprofit job

I recently received an e-mail from someone looking to get a marketing position at a national nonprofit. I'd like to think I know a little about this since I have worked for several national nonprofit organizations during my career and I have been active in the national nonprofit sector for some time now.

Here is the advice I provided to get a national nonprofit job:
  • Get involved in some national nonprofit committees and attend national conferences to get your name out there and build your reputation. Network, network, network.
  • Revise your resume to target the national nonprofit that you would like to work for.
  • Get a graduate level certificate or degree in nonprofit management if you want to expand your nonprofit management skills.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a current North Park student in Chicago, taking a few graduate certificate courses expands your network. Many of your fellow students will work or serve on boards at the various organizations and may have connections to the contacts you are looking for!