Friday, October 9, 2009

Attending Cottey College changed my life

Last month I attended and volunteered at the PEO international convention here in San Diego. Over 3,000 women traveled from all over the US and Canada to come to this convention. Being a part of this convention made me reminisce about all the wonderful support I have received from PEO over the past twelve years.

P.E.O. is a philanthropic organization where women celebrate the advancement of women; educate women through scholarships, grants, awards, loans, and stewardship of Cottey College; and motivate women to achieve their highest aspirations.

I became a member of PEO when I was 18 years old before I attended Cottey College in Nevada, Missouri.

When I started at Cottey I was amazed by the small classes and all the faculty were accomplished PhDs in their respective fields. I joined numerous extra curricular activities including the Student Government Association, Phi Beta Lambda (the business club), Golden Key, the Handbell Choir and Intervarsity Christian Fellowship.

I made long lasting friendships with my suitemates and my coworkers in Cottey dining services. I'll never forget the amazing financial and moral support I received from California PEOs. I loved receiving microwave bags of popcorn, postcards, and other goodies to keep me going when I felt homesick.

While at Cottey I pursued both the Associates of Arts and the Associates of Sciences degrees. I took all the business classes that were offered and my adviser and mentor, Dr. Anne Bunton told me how I could pursue a career in the nonprofit sector. It was through her encouragement I started my nonprofit career journey.

When I completed my two years at Cottey, I was accepted to quite a few schools but chose to attend San Diego State University (SDSU). SDSU is the complete opposite of Cottey. It has over 30k students and co-ed dorms. But because of my experience at Cottey, I was able to hold my own. I spoke up in my classes of 50+ students as well as followed up with my professors after class if I had additional questions.

While at SDSU I further pursued my goal of working in the nonprofit sector and I earned a Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership from American Humanics along with my Bachelors Degree in Business Administration.

Although I have attended many Universities since Cottey, Cottey still remains near and dear to my heart. Attending that school inspired me, encouraged me, and truly changed my life.

No comments: