Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentines Day! A snapshot into my life


I rarely write personal posts about my life but I think its fitting on Valentines day to give a snap shot of the other side of my life--my personal life.

I've been married for 8 years to a wonderful man. My marriage is not your average marriage. I see my husband 3 days of the week and for the majority of our marriage, he has worked in another city or state then where we live.

I must have a lot of flexibility in my personal life and that is probably why I seek structure in my work life. My husband gets his schedule a week before the new month starts and I never know in advance which three days of the week he'll have off. He works almost every holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, 4th of July etc). I try to be as flexible as I can and spent at least one full day a week at home with him, but that is challenging sometimes due to being a student and the fact I have classes many nights a week. I would love to see my husband all the time, sleep in the same bed with him every night of the week, but that is just not possible. I made this choice and I have no regrets. I love my husband deeply. He is caring, patient, and ALWAYS meets me where I'm at.

My husband was in the military when we first met. We started dating while I was going to college in Missouri and he was stationed in San Diego. When I transferred to San Diego State University, he was subsequently transferred to Chicago. After we got married I moved to Chicago and we had two wonderful years living in the same town. Then when he got out of the military we moved back to the Bay Area. My husband started flight school and got a job instructing in the central valley of California. He would work/live in the central valley during the week and come home on the weekends. Then he got a job flying for an airline in Houston, TX and I got accepted into the PhD program in San Diego. He's been commuting from San Diego to Houston ever since. In case you are wondering, even if I lived in Houston I would only see him 3 days a week because he flies all over the country and stays in a different city every night.

Our relationship has been through 2 six month deployments when he was in the military and countless days apart, it hasn't been easy--we miss each other a lot--but one thing remains true, we trust each other, we love each other, and God is our anchor. The statement "absence makes the heart grow fonder" is certainly true in our relationship. I'm thankful this Valentines day because my husband is coming home and that is the best Valentines Day gift I could ever receive!

No comments: