Saturday, May 16, 2009

Time Management -- trying to schedule fun time

Yet again, I'm having an issue with time management. I've got three important deadlines coming up in the next couple of weeks and I'm working like crazy to get these projects completed. On top of that I have finals this week. With all these work and school deadlines, everything else seems to go by the wayside.

When I went to the doctor for my annual check up he said, "You seem to be stressed." I responded, "Yes, I am a PhD student, I believe stress comes with the territory." He said, "I'd like you to talk to someone and see me again in a month." I said, "Ok, what have I got to loose."

I saw a MFT counselor last week and told her I was a workaholic/overachiever and my goal is to find balance, eat healthy, and exercise regularly. She asked me what I liked to do for fun and I said scrapbooking. She asked me to set goals of where I'd like to be in four months (e.g. exercising three times a week, eating healthy and scrapbooking once a week).

The coolest thing she said was -- "I am going to hold you accontable for scheduling scrapbooking time. Once a week, I want to know that you are scrapbooking for at least a couple of hours. Doing this will decrease your stress." Wow, thats amazing, I though, I get to schedule in fun time to scrapbook!!

Are you stressed like I am? What do you need to schedule for your fun time?

I'm off to scrapbook....

No comments: