Thursday, July 2, 2009

New to Running a Nonprofit: Here's an Overabundance of Resources

As many of you know I've run a few nonprofits over the course of my career. While running these organizations, I collected best practice resources that were very useful to my organization. The problem is I haven't known how to share these useful links with other nonprofits...until now.

In the past:
  • I posted resources about starting and running a nonprofit on my website.
  • I tagged nonprofit management, nonprofit education, nonprofit workforce and nonprofit technology resources on my delicious account.
But now I can post and share ALL the resources, templates and reports in one place on IdeaEncore!!

I learned about Idea Encore a few weeks ago when the founder and CEO (Scott Bechtler-Levin) attended a workshop I presented at. IdeaEncore allows people to share best practice nonprofit templates, links and resources. I love it!! Also, since I don't get a lot of traffic on my website or on delicious, I can share on IdeaEncore ALL the best practice nonprofit resources, templates, and reports I've used over the years, including all the resources listed below.

I hope that you will join with me in sharing the best practice resources, templates and reports on IdeaEncore.

Planning Resources
Annual Planning Tips for your Nonprofit from Hildy Gottlieb
Sample Business plans
Basic steps to a Strategic Plan
Strategic Planning for Nonprofit Organizations: A Practical Guide and Handbook
Developing Your Strategic Plan
Finding a strategic planning consultant through Idealist.org

Governance Resouces
BoardSource - Building Effective Nonprofit Boards
Board Member Job Descriptions
Free Complete Toolkit for Boards
Sample of a Board of Directors Committee Work Plan
Developing and Supporting a Board of Directors
Board Café
Nonprofit Board Matching Website

Human Resource Management Resources
Human Resource Policies and Procedures for Nonprofit Organizations by Carol Barbeito
HR Management Toolkit
Nonprofit Human Resource Management Center
Society for Human Resource Management
Salary Management for Nonprofits by Jerry Jensen
How to conduct a Salary Survey by Jerry Jensen
Innovative Compensation Practices in Nonprofit Organizations
ADP Payroll ADP’s HR/Benefit Solution
Wells Fargo Payroll
Paychex Payroll
Intuit Payroll
Human Resources AppExchange on Salesforce.com
Behind Closed Web Sites: A Look at Three Nonprofit Intranets by Laura Quinn
• Social Source Commons HR and Volunteer Management Software Tools

Risk Management Resources
Nonprofit Risk Management Center
Nonprofit Law, Tax Exempt Organizations Law Advice
Nonprofit Law Blog
What Basic Insurance Coverage Should a Nonprofit Consider?
Free Computer Based Risk Assessment Tool for Nonprofits
My Risk Management Plan
Disaster Preparedness Today
NPower Disaster Preparedness Guide
Exit Interviews
Sample Exit Interview Form
Taming Turnover: Strategies for Recruiting and Retaining Nonprofit Employees by Lee Mizell
Independent Sector Checklist for Accountability
Better Business Bureau Standards for Charitable Accountability
Guidestar
Charity Navigator

Finance and Accounting Resources
Nonprofit Unified Chart of Accounts
Financial Leadership for Nonprofit Executives
Internal Accounting Control System
How do we interpret our financial statements?
The Cash Flow Management Book for Nonprofits: A Step-by-Step Guide for Managers and Boards by Murray Dropkin and Allyson Hayden
GSA - Privately Owned Vehicle (POV) Mileage Reimbursement Rates
GSA - Domestic Per Diem Rates
A Few Good Accounting Packages by Laura Quinn
• Social Source Commons Accounting Software Tools
Small Business Accounting Software Review - 2004 (CPATechnologyAdvisor.com Publication Archives)
Accounting and Bookkeeping Links Page — American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers
Sarbanes Oxley Information from the Independent Sector

Other Nonprofit Operations Resources
Organizational Systems Checklist for Nonprofits
Free Nonprofit Management Library
• Nonprofit Capacity Building Links Capaciteria.org
Nonprofit Genie
Nonprofit FAQ

As a caveat--IdeaEncore is not paying me to write wonderful things about their site. I just like it and think its useful. :)

No comments: