Wednesday, August 11, 2010

On the professor job market

THE TIME HAS COME! I have begun applying for nonprofit faculty jobs. I am super excited about this process and anxiously awaiting what is to come.

My faculty advisors and mentors have been very helpful to me during this process. They have provided me with feedback, encouragement, and awesome reference letters to include in my job application packets.

If you know of a nonprofit faculty job opening or if you work for a nonprofit master's or undergraduate degree program that is hiring, please let me know!! Any referral during this process would be much appreciated. This process has also helped me to look deeper into myself and truly articulate why I do what I do. Here's a section of my job application packet: My personal statement.

Personal Statement


Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
-Confucius


Many people are passionate about the mission of their organizations, or their nonprofit’s cause, but I am different. I am passionate about helping people run more effective nonprofit organizations, and helping people pursue nonprofit careers. I feel lucky that I found my passion at such a young age.


As a child I was in girl scouting for eleven years and I earned my gold award (the highest award in girl scouting) through 300 hours of community service within nonprofit organizations. This experience instilled in me a commitment to community service and a dedication to nonprofit organizations. As an undergraduate student I earned a Certificate in Nonprofit Management through American Humanics and then went on to work in a variety of nonprofit settings. I worked for two different nonprofit organizations while I earned a Master’s of Management in Nonprofit Administration from North Park University in Chicago, Illinois. My education gave me the practical skills to succeed in the nonprofit management jobs that I held. Through my work as a nonprofit manager, I developed a Nonprofit Operations Toolkit, and I was interviewed by the national women’s Blogging website Blogher, that touted me as being a “Nonprofit Operations Guru.”


My nonprofit management education also provided the theoretical tools to understand the nonprofit sector as a whole. Because of this understanding and my enjoyment of networking, I have participated on a variety of national nonprofit committees including the Nonprofit Workforce Coalition, the Nonprofit Congress, and the Independent Sector’s NGen Initiative.


I chose to enroll in an interdisciplinary PhD program at the University of San Diego to become a nonprofit professor and learn how to effectively teach nonprofit managers. During my PhD program, which included substantial theoretical training, I developed my teaching skills and the ability to do methodologically sound research. My PhD program, as well as my experiences as a nonprofit manager, prepared me to continue helping people run more effective nonprofit organizations and pursue nonprofit careers.


Interested in learning more, check out my Vita

No comments: