Monday, April 6, 2009

Reflections on the Nonprofit West Coast Data Conference

I just got back from attending the Nonprofit West Coast Data conference, (hosted by UCLA's Center for Civil Society) a small gathering of nonprofit academics, researchers, and students.

I liked the collegial atmosphere and presentation format of research ideas, methodology and/or findings. I also enjoyed meeting fellow doctoral students and professors that deeply care about nonprofit research.

Because of the small setting, presenters received feedback from senior faculty members including but not limited to: Mark Hager, Robert Ashcraft, Steven R. Smith, Joe Galaskiewicz, Robert Donmoyer, Brint Milward, Carlton Yashioka, Mary McDonald, Erna Gelles, Helmut Anheier and Zeke Hansenfeld--all VERY well known professiors in the nonprofit academic/research field.

I know I can speak on behalf of the doctoral students and other presenters when I say, we really appreciated how these senior faculty members took time out of their busy schedules to attend the conference and provide us feedback on our presentations and research ideas.

In fact, I was so impressed by the presentations and research ideas at this conference, I decided to do a follow up to my Top 50 nonprofit academics post. Here is a list of the doctoral students and junior faculty that presented at the conference. They are the *next generation of nonprofit academics*:
& amazing undergraduates Joe Pettinato and Samuel Richard, Arizona State University who did two rockin presentations!!

(I know there are many more amazing next gen nonprofit academics out there, however these are the ones that I met at the Nonprofit West Coast Data conference).

No comments: