The theme of Nonprofit Day was storytelling. This theme allowed for attendees to briefly pause the busyness of running their nonprofit organizations and learn how to tell REAL stories about the people that we serve, the lives that we touch, and the communities that we impact.
Stories can be shared in many different formats through video, audio, verbal, and text. In fact, a nonprofit organization Storytellers for Good created videos for select nonprofits during the conference and StoryCorps audio recorded nonprofit stories during the event! We definitely need more positive videos (stories) about nonprofits and the amazing work that we do.
Emotions emerged and flowed through the space as a result of the conference theme. There were many instances in which the tears were flowing down the faces of many attendees because of the compelling stories that were shared by the speakers.
There were also many breaks throughout the conference and extended periods of networking. This allowed for conference attendees to spend as much or as little time as they wanted to networking, visiting exhibitors, or catching up on their work. I thoroughly enjoyed the networking time and reconnected with people I hadn't seen for years and people I had only "met" digitally.
The last piece that made this conference so phenomenal was the speakers. In the sessions that I attended there was much audience participation! We networked and engaged in partner activities.
After the conference ended there were two happy hour events. One, an official part of the conference, was hosted by Eventbrite and the other was hosted by YNPN SFBA.
Many people tweeted about the conference. These tweets can be found on the Nonprofit Day Live page or by using twitter search #npd10. @jdeancoffey @jakenyon @wiserearth @fitz350 @tccgroup @gtak @hollyminch @lisa_sherrill @stories4good @missionm @nonprofitsrule & more tweeted the event.
A few of us also wrote blog posts about the different sessions that we attended.
- From Nonprofit Law Blog -- CompassPoint Nonprofit Day 2010 Recap
- From Nonprofit Leadership 601 -- My Story about CompassPoint
- From Jara Dean Coffey -- Social Change for Service Providers
- From Wiser Earth -- Next Generation Leadership
- From John Kenyon -- Next Generation Organizations
- From Wiser Earth -- Is your Nonprofit Leveraging Volunteers Effectively?
- From Nonprofit Leadership 601 -- Reimagining Service/Effective Human Resources Management Practices
- From Nonprofit Leadership 601 -- Coaching--a form of supervision