I'm sitting in my new diggs in San Diego!! The movers delivered all our stuff yesterday and I am currently taking a break from unpacking. I am thinking about the ways that I am going to network and meet other nonprofit folks in this fabulous new city. For those of you who are also moving to a new city or trying to transition into the nonprofit sector in your area, here are some networking steps I am taking.
1. Before I moved here I contacted some large nonprofits and foundations in the area and asked them if there are any location specific nonprofit listservs I should join.
2. I checked to see if there is a Young Nonprofit Professionals Network (YNPN) chapter in my new city.
3. I contacted the local volunteer center to sign up for one-day or half-day volunteer opportunities to meet new people.
4. I am in the process of signing up for boardnet USA a free board matching service so I can serve on the board of a local nonprofit.
5. I'm planning to attend the local Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) chapter meeting, the local nonprofit association meeting and a Volunteer Managers meeting.
6. I'm going to sign up for a workshop at the local nonprofit training center.
7. I'm trying not to overdo it and making time for play like signing up for a scrapbooking class and joining a new bell choir.